Wednesday, October 14, 2009

hu? and More Pics

Ok, I looked at my sitemeter and there were "millions" of people logging onto my blog from Blogger.com. Hu? Did they just push the "Next Blog" button? Am I featured somewhere? Why are there no comments made so I know why the sudden influx of people??? Anyway, just a question.


Now for some more pictures of my gallivanting ways through the Black Hills:

Last week, the snow was pretty bad, and the roads were worse, so everyone was feeling a little shut in. As soon as the roads were passable, I got out of here! I hadn't seen Spearfish Canyon, though I heard it was pretty (pretty big let down because the snow froze the pretty leaves, so it was like any other canyon. If you travel here, see it in the spring when the waterfalls are at full capacity), or Historic Deadwood (it turned out to be exactly what I tell guests- gambling, and historical. If you aren't into either, I wouldn't suggest going.). Though it wasn't all I had imagined, it was still great to get away from the snowy mountain, going on a drive (longer than I expected too!), and getting to the last thing on my to-see-before-I-leave-list. Then, as I was eating cheesecake at Denny's, I overheard some Native Americans talking about the Pow Wow. I had forgotten all about it, and was supposed to go with my former roommate (I tried texting her to go with me, but no answer) Stacey, so I decided to go! There was about 1/2 hour before it started, so I asked the people where it was and what time, and I was gone. I was SO impressed with the Pow Wow, but more on that later... The entire day turned out to be exactly what I needed.










SOO Cold! I need a parka and ski mask.


Bridal Veil Falls, the one cool thing in Spearfish Canyon.

Pow Wow in Rapid City- I wish the pictures had turned out better, but maybe you can get an idea of what it was like.
From October, Conference and SNOW









I don't know what your opinion is of Native Americans, but I've heard way too much that's negative, and every time I hear it I get offended. Yes, there is a lot of alcoholism, poverty, etc. BUT I was amazed at the power and spirit I felt just observing this Pow Wow. At the beginning of the event, hundreds of people made a grand entrance, walking and dancing in a large circle to the drummers/singers. Instead of the stereotypical blandness, I saw these Lakota/Dakota/Nakota people as strong, powerful, respectful, and courageous; with a great community spirit that I wish I had. I found myself wishing that I could join their tribe, just to have that sense of unity. They were there to celebrate their heritage, and to compete in competitions for dancing/singing/drumming. My favorite was the Tiny Tot dance, because they were so cute :D Warriors were celebrated and honored, and the last person to speak was a woman who spoke of domestic violence. They acknowledged that there are some bad things going on in the reservations (just like anywhere), but I was really impressed when she called to all the men "who don't cuss, don't drink, and don't resort to violence" to stand up! It would have been better if the sound weren't so muffled, because we could barely hear her, but it was good to see and hear. Basically All that I observed was impressive. I saw one, ONE person that was dressed immodestly!!! Teenage boys would offer a hand to help an elder down the stairs, and one guy walked past some older women and men sitting on the sidelines, shaking each of their hands in respect. Speaking of respect- is it disrespectful to take pictures at a Pow Wow? I hope it was ok.

Honestly, I wish I could join them... I can dye my hair! What does our culture have to compare? Green Jello and funeral potatoes don't really hold a candle to what I felt there. I hope that things get better for those on reservations, because from what I hear, it's like a third world country in places :'( I hope those there can take the strength of unity and purpose to their homes to make a difference. WOW. Amazing. Really.

1 comment:

Emily Beu said...

ah, that would be hilarious, seeing you as a native at a pow wow. looks like you had a little bit of fun there!