Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Conference and The Seth Story

I just got back from a conference trip to UT!!!!! It was actually really hard to be with my family, knowing that I'd be leaving soon. That and being in UT, but not able to see Seth just about drove me crazy :S But besides that, the trip was wonderful. The babies are getting big, my family is as fun as they've always been, and the drive back and forth was fantastic because of the branch members who came!

In case you haven't heard the "Seth Story," I'll include that as well. I think everyone knows stuff, but a guy friend told me that I owed him a date the other day- even though I don't remember a single time that he mentioned asking me on one. Note to all men. "We should do something sometime." doesn't count as asking a girl out! ... but now it's too late for him anyway :)

Here's the official story:
Phase 1. BEGINNING: I'm driving through Wyoming on my way to Sylvan lake for a seasonal job in Custer State park. My phone rings and my friend Melissa says that this guy, who she has been trying to set me up with for the past two years or so, wants to go on a date! I tell her that I'm a little unavailable at the moment, but say, "Give him my blog address, and email address. If he doesn't get freaked out by the blog, tell him he can email me."

Phase 2. NOTHING. No email comes for ... I'll actually have to check to see when he actually did email me... Ok, on June 7, 2009, after a horrid day involving guys, Seth Austin decided to email me. Bad timing, but oh well. The emails at first were usual for people who don't know each other. Basics like, "I have blond hair," and "I like to hike." were told. Nothing too exciting. We'd write every few weeks, again nothing too exciting. Phase

3. CRAZY? I got an email, after a few of the normal ones, saying (in response to me not knowing what to do next) that what I should do with my life is to move to Vernal! He asked me if it was too far away from my family?!? it's a good thing he put in an "LOL" at the end, because I would have really thought he was insane ;) I laughed, and answered his questions... but didn't hear from him again for about three weeks! Guys, go figure. He finally did answer, and the emails were much more interesting, BUT I was confused by it all. I called Melissa on August 23 (I know this from a phone message, I'm not that good at dates), asked if he really was crazy, but she said he just liked me or something. Then she said that he had shown my blog to his whole family (actually it was a few posts to his parents and one sister, as far as I know). That was a little nerve wracking, but again, I was the one who suggested it, so oh well. I told Melissa that if he really was normal, and not insane, that he should call me the next day.

Phase 4. FUN. He called, we talked, and he seemed nice. We've talked on the phone or chatted most every day since then. I find myself liking Seth more and more, and sometime within the last month and 1/2 I came up with the idea of him flying out here and then driving back to UT with me. What better way to get to know someone, than on a 10-12 hour drive? At first we were nervous that it wouldn't be a smooth trip, but now that we know each other better, I'm looking forward to it. It has been nice getting to know someone in the phone/email/chatty way, but still it was awful to be so close, and yet so far away when I was there! I told my friends to just drop me off in Heber and I'd walk to Vernal, not coming back... BUT the plane tickets have been purchased, and I also left my stuff here at the dorms. What could I do? My co-workers joked with me today that they too didn't think I would return. Good thing for those tickets :D Now we can spend a blissful 2 days or so on a long journey, hopefully not kicking the other person out of the car because we're sick of them.

Phase 5. AFTER. After that, who knows? I've gotten as far as, "We'll see how the trip goes." Because of the whole long distance relationship thing (which I've already done 3 times, and it's horrid when you've met the person and one of you moves away), I'll most likely move to Vernal. I don't count this as completely giving up my plans, because I still have two years before I can get into school in UT, and I can start any semester if I need to come back here. I assume that the trip will be so astoundingly amazing, that we'll never want to part ways again... one can only hope! There Seth, aren't you proud that I finally wrote about you? What can I say, you read this stuff. It's different than just writing to the abyss that is called the Internet, letting my thoughts float to to the unknown.

No comments: