Thursday, September 24, 2009

Scripture Power

I've found these scriptures, in the last few days, not really looking, yet finding them just the same. I've been feeling much like my usual self, when it comes to plans, yet I read these and remember that 1. God is in control, even though it sometimes feels like life is spinning in an uncontrollable, cyclic spiral, and that 2. Somehow my life fits into His plan for me. I find myself once again wishing that I could see what He can. I guess that's where good old fashioned faith that He knows more than me comes into play.

During institute we talked about Gideon, and that the Lord saved his people with just a few hundred men against thousands (the grasshopper analogy worked well here, since it's been the "year of the grasshopper" around here).

Judges 6:12-
12 And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him and said unto him the Lord is with thee, thou mighty man of valor.
13 And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the Lord be with us, why then is all this befallen us [This could be any problem, I've said this many times]? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt? But now the Lord hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.
14 And the Lord looked upon him, and said, go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the land of the Midianites. HAVE NOT I SENT THEE?

It's interesting that it took a lot of convincing for Gideon to do what he did, so maybe it's not too awful for me to need a little reassurance once in awhile. I've also felt like him, when he says, where are the miracles that our fathers talked about? me: Why do I have such a hard time sometimes, where are the angels pushing my "handcart?" But then the Lord swoops in, somehow making things work out (not that they have yet, but they have in the past, so I'm hoping). How long is patience required? I guess asking this question means I need more patience.

Scripture Number Two
D&C 127: 4 (middle of the paragraph)
and Let your diligence, and your perseverance, and patience, and your works be redoubled, and you shall in nowise lose your reward, saith the Lord of Hosts.

How has my diligence, perseverance, and patience been lately?????

Third Scritpure
While reading a slightly Christian novel (yeah for clean and funny books, Read Kimberly Stuart's "Act Two.") a scripture was mentioned. It was in the NIV version, so I'll find the King James Version. I like reading the Old English, because it makes it much more meaningful...

Jeremiah 29:10-14
10 For thus saith the Lord, that after seventy years [please don't let it be that long until my prayers are answered] be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place [of peace etc.].
11 For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord [Isaiah 55:8-9. We don't always know, or understand... we only see a piece of the pie], thoughts of peace, and not evil, to give you an expected end. [footnote: Jeremiah 31:17 AND THERE IS HOPE IN THINE END]
12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
14 And I will be found of you, saith the Lord: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you...

And one more, from Emily's blog. Why did I get teary eyed as I read her "relationship" post? :
Alma 38: 5-6 “ …
5 I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

6 Now my son, I would not that ye should think that I know these things of myself, but it is the Spirit of God which is in me which maketh these things known unto me…”

1 comment:

Advocate for Education said...

Thanks for sharing these scriptures. They definitely helped to lift my spirit. I also have a hard time trusting that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and is in control and I just need to be patient and stay close to Him. You are wonderful and I always enjoy reading your blog!